PDA UI - Learning from Newton

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Jan 7 00:14:48 UTC 2002

Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> said:
>Hands down, the Newton was (and still is, which is sad) the best thing
>doing as far as the PDA is concerned.  As the person working on
>DynaPad/SPE, let me say that the entire point of my writing this Squeak
>PDA environment is to replace my Newton MP2000 upgraded (for sale), and to
>have a computing environment that is all of the things Palm OS and WinCE
>aren't, and the NewtonOS were.  Consistent, elegant, dynamic, and
>powerful.

I think PalmOS is sort of OK. But then, I've been working with Epoc Crystal
for the last 6 months, and if you are looking for examples of how NOT to do
a PDA environment, lend a Nokia Communicator from someone (don't buy it, it
ain't worth the money).

What's the major difference between, say, PalmOS and Newton that makes the
latter so much better?

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>