[VM][SF] Cross has too much in the CVS tree?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 7 19:31:48 UTC 2002

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> is widely believed to have written:

> > > Isn't this a little strange?
> > If it is actually so, yes. Cross platform should include a load of files
> > that were kept as literal strings in the image; sq.h, sqConfig.h,
> > FilePlugin/FilePlugin.h etc etc. If others have crept into the CVS
> > repository then I would suspect an administrative mistake somewhere.
>
> No, those were the ones I meant....  I ran into trouble with sq.h -- it
> mentions off_t in a prototype, causing an error in interp.c.  In this
> particular case, if sq.h hadn't been there, then the one spat out from
> the image would have worked.  You're right though that problems like
> this are going to be ultimately unavoidable.
Ah-hah. There _shouldn't be_ any such spat out version. Clearly there is
some version clash occuring. The VMMaker changeset ought to be removing
all the files kept as Strings. Even if something is preventing the
removal of the appropriate methods, VMMaker doesn't run them - at least
not any version of VMMaker I've written! (Just checkedquickly - my
update 4599 image with VMMaker-3-1-version3 loaded has those methods
removed correctly)

W.r.t. SurfacePlugin and generating it - read the class comment. For
whatever reason, it tells us not to generate the file but rather to use
the literal version (ie the one now in /platforms/Cross/SurfacePlugin)
I have vague memories of asking Andreas about this, but nothing clearer
springs to mind.

The rest of your UnixVMMaker stuff looks fine, except that it exposes
some ugliness in the (ab)use of 'local' as a concept combining both
internal/external generation and resultant file location. Better get
myself motivated to clean it up I suppose!

tim

Useful random insult:- If you stand close enough to him, you can hear the ocean.