[OT] Writing a parser for BASIC in Smalltalk/Squeak ? (<CSOTD> included)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 10 03:26:26 UTC 2002

Andres Valloud <sqrmax at prodigy.net> is widely believed to have written:

> Hi.
>
> > Expressions in () are supposed to be _completed_ before
> > the rest of the expression is executed.
>
> I tried to find this in the ANSI spec, but I couldn't.  What references
> did you use?
My common sense in this case; admittedly this is something that my wife
considers utterly atrophied but I feel quite strongly that a simple
statement that acts in a completely surprising manner is a poor way to
do things.

> By the way, ObjectStudio and VisualWorks are the Smalltalks Cincom
> sells.  They have different compilers at the moment.  They both make the
> variable m in the snippet evaluate to 5.
That's no excuse. They both need fixing.:-)

tim
Fractured Idiom:- L'ETAT, C'EST MOO - I'm bossy around here