Porting Squeak

Bill Schwab BILLS at ANEST4.ANEST.UFL.EDU
Thu Jan 10 04:37:26 UTC 2002

==========================
I'm curious to know if there are any plans to change Squeak
over to Java ? And if it would be possible ?
==========================
It's been tried - sorta - by some very talented people.  The idea was to
have all the benefits of the Smalltalk IDE without the "weird syntax"; C
was the language of choice.

The system I'm describing is/was Actor.  Maybe it failed because there
was only one small vendor behind it.  My hunch is that there was more
to it though, and I would recommend that we not race down the same
path as Java.

==========================
personally I prefer Smalltalk and its benefits such as
workspaces, browsers, dynamic compilation etc (I don't like to
use get and set and some of the huge method headers) but I'm
thinking from the support angle. What could have been done
with the huge developer base.
==========================

If you are going to make the user base argument, it would be better to
get ahead of the curve and talk about C#.  I figure it's even money that
C# will be the hype-compliant language in the very near future; then it
will step aside in favor of something else.  I'm not sure whether to be
disappointed by it all, or just plain glad the competition hasn't listened to
me :)

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida