Porting Squeak

Todd Blanchard todd.blanchard at cacheon.com
Thu Jan 10 17:43:16 UTC 2002

From: Bijan Parsia [mailto:bparsia at email.unc.edu]

Since I think there's a lot of juice to be gotten out of optional type
annotations, I'd be interested in how folks like the Bistro way of doing
it.

That's how ObjectiveC works.
You can declare a variable as a typed pointer or id.

If you declare it as id, the compiler makes no assumptions about what id
references and it works like a smalltalk variable.

If you use a typed pointer, you will get a warning when you write code
that tries to send a message not supported by the class.  Its only a
warning so it never gets in your way, yet it can be handy for spotting
typos before running the code.

I rather like it.