Porting Squeak

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 23:50:54 UTC 2002

Gary McGovern wrote:

> Thank you very much John, that's good information. But I'm quite sure Squeak
> Central could have manipulated Java to have those features (licenses
> permitting).
>
> It's not just the kids that like dynamic programming ;-),I like it and I'm
> sure NASA would find it useful. As I originally said, I prefer the Squeak
> technology. I was thinking people.

Just a thought:

another approach (altogether!) would be to use Squeak to output files in
another language. For example, Small Eiffel (and, no doubt, other
Eiffels) can output C code (to be compiled with gcc) and Java byte code.

Of course, there are disadvantages, as well as advantages, to doing
stuff this way ;-).

Cheers

John
--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211