[VM}[WIN][VMMAKER] Does a VMMaker for Windows exist?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Jan 13 23:02:28 UTC 2002

Rob Withers <rwithers12 at mediaone.net> is widely believed to have written:

> Hi Andreas and Tim, I am looking for a Win32VMMaker and a Makefile that
> would allow me to build having generated files from VMMaker.    There is no
> use of mkMake or mkfrags on windows it seems.
So far as I'm aware there is no need for any special purpose code in
VMMaker for windows; however since I don't have any windows machine to
test things on I rely on the good offices of people such as Craig to
occasionally try it out and let me know of problems.

The chief 'problem' with w32 and MSVC++ is that the makefile/project
needs to be hand-altered for each configuration you might want because
of the lack of autoconf/scripting like functionality. Same problem on
Mac & Acorn!

> I am using all of your recommended tools, and I was able to compile based
> on your Alpha5 code, with all internal.  I have been able to generate, with
> VMMaker, and compile up to Squeak.exe linking step, using all internal
> modules and my own hacked copy of Makefile.mingw32  to support the new
> directory structure.
I assume you mean the "internal plugin source in vm/intplugins" ? Yes,
that would need some hopefully trivial alterations to whatever the
make/project file is. See above....

> At the link step, I am missing or double defining
> certain file primitive definitions and it can't resolve (ftello) and
> friends.  This is a result of my hacking the Makefile and I'm not that
> experienced at Makefiles.   I also had the off_t and size_t  not defined
> problems in sq.h   I added those defines to sq.h.
Those are the bits that got added recently to support large files; if
you don't have that changeset you will have problems. 'off_t' etc should
be found in the sq.h etc currently in the SourceForge.net cvs tree.

tim
Performance is easier to add than clarity.