Learning Squeak (was: Porting Squeak)

Andy Stoffel Andrew.Stoffel at jenzabar.net
Tue Jan 15 01:46:23 UTC 2002

> As for my observation about the lack of really good tutorials
> geared to take people from newbie to master, I base that upon
> the current lack of such things.  And yes, I check the swiki.
> Including today.

> > have you looked at Guzdial's text book?

[...]

> There is a lot of disjoint content of varying quality all
> over the Squeak community.  That is not, however, the same thing
> as a coherent, well-structured, tutorial that starts from the
> beginning, follows a well-known paradigm such as the "introduce,
> present, summarize" cycle, and builds upon each cycle as it moves
> towards mastery while reinforcing previous topics throughout.

Hmmm..... I haven't had a chance to read through it all but what
about "Squeak: A Quick Trip to ObjectLand" by Gene Korienek, Tom Wrensch,
& Doug Dechow ( ISBN: 0201731142 )? I ran across it in Borders last week.
It's a bright yellow. And comes with a copy of Squeak (3.0) on CD.

(Oddly enough, Amazon/Borders.com seems to think if you buy this book
you'll want to buy one on Dolphin Smalltalk when they should be plugging
one of the other Squeak books, both of which are mentioned in the
"For further reading section" of this book.)

-Andy-