Squeak goes SMS?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 19:55:47 UTC 2002

Michael Rueger wrote:

> John Hinsley wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone point me to any (reasonably user freindly) documentation on
> > SMS?
> >
> > I thought (in my naivity) that doing an SMS client for Squeak would be
> > (relatively) easy. (Nothing sophisticated, just a way of sending text
> > messages to mobile phones/cellphones.) Currently I'm drowning in an
> > alphabet soup and trying to make sense of some seriously alpha packages
> > for Linux.
> >
> > I thought someone in the land of the phreaker might have some ideas.
>
> I always wondered how this works? Where do you connect to and who do you
> have to pay?

This I'm unsure of: there is an alpha application for Linux (at least)
called yaps (the Kde alpha frontend package is called KSMS) from the
blurb:

"KSMS - KDE Short Message Service - is (or should become) a frontend
program for the pager software yaps. This combination allows you to send
pager messages using an analog modem or ISDN interface connected to a
linux box somewhere in your lan. yaps was command line driven, but with
minor changes it could run as a server.

If you want to send messages to a pager or a mobile, there are other
solutions available. The most well known are email or web gateways, but
either the service is not provided for free or it has certain
limitations (it does not allow you to send multiple messages,...).
Another solution is an internal email gateway. This is possible if you
install the wmm perl package which is also based on yaps (iX 3/98,
Wartala www.heise.de)"

There's also another package which requires a wireless modem plugged
into your serial port.

The only documentation I've yet managed to find (I can't seem to find an
RFC) is a tutorial published by the International Engineering Consortium
(a google search for SMS will throw it up -- I've lost the URL).

> A totally different approach would be to connect Squeak to a web service
> sending SMS:
> http://www.xmethods.com/
> http://www.xmethods.com/detail.html?id=242

Yes. I've yet to test it, but it looks as though www.uboot.com enables
you to send text messages for free. It might well be possible to bypass
their frontend (after registration!).

Cheers

John

--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211