Squeak goes SMS?

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Tue Jan 15 19:44:42 UTC 2002

John Hinsley asks:

> Can anyone point me to any (reasonably user freindly) documentation on
> SMS?
>
> I thought (in my naivity) that doing an SMS client for Squeak would be
> (relatively) easy. (Nothing sophisticated, just a way of sending text
> messages to mobile phones/cellphones.) Currently I'm drowning in an
> alphabet soup and trying to make sense of some seriously alpha packages
> for Linux.

Hmmm....usually, sending SMS messages to a mobile phone just requires
sending a (very) short email to a particular email address, typically <phone
number>@<carrier's gateway>.  For instance, sending a message to someone on
pacbell is something like: 8005551212 at pacbell.net.  Some carriers use a
slightly different format for the phone number portion.

You should be able to find a list of formats/gateways with some clever
googling.

-- Duane