Squeak goes SMS?

G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl G.J.Tielemans at dinkel.utwente.nl
Tue Jan 15 21:59:36 UTC 2002

Why need a special program in Squeak, any emailprogram can already do it?

- As owner of a cellphone I go to the website of an SMS-service
- I announce my number to this service
- It sends a password to my cellphone
- Then I can create an account (I limit the message lenght to 160)

>From that moment everyone with an emailprogram can send my phone an sms:
1. create the email-adress
- type + for internationa access
- type the country code of the cellarphone provider
- type the cellarphone number (minus the leading zero)
- add @<sms service provider name>
2. create the message IN THE SUBJECT HEADER OF THE EMAIL (no body message)
3. send... within seconds it arrives in my cellphone.

(I like the easy way the owner of the cellphone can open an account and it
is still a free service... for how long?)