Squeak goes SMS?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 06:42:17 UTC 2002

Chris Double wrote:

> > Can anyone point me to any (reasonably user freindly) documentation on
> > SMS?
>
> I use a couple of ways to send SMS messages via programs. The first is using
> the www.mtnsms.com gateway. Just register, fill out a form and the SMS gets
> sent. Unfortunately there is no guarantee about when the recipient gets the
> SMS. Sometimes the delay can be a few seconds, others a few hours. I have
> example code in Dylan for this at:
>
>   http://dylanlibs.sourceforge.net
>
> I also have code I use in Dolphin Smalltalk to do the same thing. I use this
> daily.
>
> Another approach I have used is to have a Nokia cellphone connected to my
> PC. I then use Nokia's PC connection SDK which allows sending and receiving
> SMS messages using COM (on Windows). This allows me to send and to act on
> receipt of an SMS message. This at least solves the problem of when the SMS
> is delivered. But each SMS then costs you 20 cents or so.

Thanks Chris

I'll have a go tomorrow (time for bed!). Thus far the free email->sms
and web->sms have failed dismally: this may have to do with a
peculiarity whereby some Orange phones don't seem to have
straightforward routing instructions in the number, but it also looks
like these firms are going out of business very quickly.

Cheers

John
--
Reputed to be the reason Windows 2000 was nearly a year late, (paid in
shares M$Ds needed the cash and kudos) Netproject's Eddie Bleasdale has

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30REQEVENT=&REQAUTH=21046&14001REQSUB=REQINT1=48211