umlaut in file names eh?

John M McIntosh johnmci at mac.com
Mon Jan 14 00:07:22 UTC 2002

>John,
>
>>  I'm not *absolutely* sure that these changes are down to the recent
>>  change sets (or even that they're both changes!) but I observe that:
>>
>>  "ü" (that's ascii 252, u diuresis/umlaut) is now represented
>>  by a glyph in (at least) the file list and file selector dialogues.
>>  If this doesn't apply to you and you use Mac, well, that may explain
>>  something.... :-0
>
>It has always been that way. We (that is those people not running Macs) have
>gone to painful length in order to make umlauts and accents available after
>all [**](mind you, plenty of us are * too ;-) but the file handling is one
>of those (few!) places that haven't been touched. Therefore I believe no
>matter which font you use you will not be able to display umlauted
>characters correctly from the file list.

If a mac person (OS-X only) would like to step to the foreground I'll
fix the issue for file lists on that platform. In theory we should be
able to work around this with the OS-X support for unicode file names
and how those get converted from/to 8 bit values. Right now I use
kCFStringEncodingMacRoman for historical reasons, but perhaps not
valid reasons, so what should it be?

     kCFStringEncodingMacRoman = 0,
     kCFStringEncodingWindowsLatin1 = 0x0500, /* ANSI codepage 1252 */
     kCFStringEncodingISOLatin1 = 0x0201, /* ISO 8859-1 */
     kCFStringEncodingNextStepLatin = 0x0B01, /* NextStep encoding*/
     kCFStringEncodingASCII = 0x0600, /* 0..127 (in creating CFString,
values greater than 0x7F are treated as corresponding Unicode value)
*/
     kCFStringEncodingUnicode = 0x0100, /* kTextEncodingUnicodeDefault
+ kTextEncodingDefaultFormat (aka kUnicode16BitFormat) */
     kCFStringEncodingUTF8 = 0x08000100, /*
kTextEncodingUnicodeDefault + kUnicodeUTF8Format */
     kCFStringEncodingNonLossyASCII = 0x0BFF /* 7bit Unicode variants
used by YellowBox & Java */