newbie question: Reading code difficulty.

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Jan 17 16:58:07 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 02:45 pm, CarlosIAm at aol.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>  I am trying to understand the code for PDA. In openAsMorphIn:win various
> PluggableListMorphs are created. In the first one
> PluggableListMorph on: self list: #peopleListItems
>             selected: #peopleListIndex changeSelected: #peopleListIndex:
>             menu: #peopleMenu: keystroke: #peopleListKey:from:)
>
> I go to the peopleListItems -> ^ peopleList collect: [:p | p asListItem]
>
> My Question: I fail to find where the peopleList instance variable is being
> initialized. The only method where that occurs is updatePeopleList and that
> is not called so far.

Simple answer: put a breakpoint in updatePeopleList, which looks to be the
only place where it's set (assuming that it gets set at all):

updatePeopleList
self halt.
	peopleList _ (allPeople select: [:c | c matchesKey: category]) sort.
	peopleListIndex _ peopleList indexOf: currentItem.
	self changed: #peopleListItems

Now make a new one (I dragged one from the Objects tool). You'll see that it
gets called from initialize (indirectly):

PDA>>updatePeopleList
PDA>>selectCategory:
PDA>>userCategories:allPeople:allEvents:recurringEvents:...
PDA>>initialize
PDAMorph>>initialize
PDAMorph>>initializeToStandAlone

--