umlaut in file names eh?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Thu Jan 17 19:57:05 UTC 2002

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 04:07:22PM -0800, John M McIntosh wrote:
> >John,
> >
> >> I'm not *absolutely* sure that these changes are down to the recent
> >> change sets (or even that they're both changes!) but I observe that:
> >>
> >> "ü" (that's ascii 252, u diuresis/umlaut) is now represented
> >> by a glyph in (at least) the file list and file selector dialogues.
> >> If this doesn't apply to you and you use Mac, well, that may explain
> >> something.... :-0
> >
> >It has always been that way. We (that is those people not running Macs)
> >have
> >gone to painful length in order to make umlauts and accents available after
> >all [**](mind you, plenty of us are * too ;-) but the file handling is one
> >of those (few!) places that haven't been touched. Therefore I believe no
> >matter which font you use you will not be able to display umlauted
> >characters correctly from the file list.
> >

> If a mac person (OS-X only) would like to step to the foreground I'll
> fix the issue for file lists on that platform. In theory we should be
> able to work around this with the OS-X support for unicode file names
> and how those get converted from/to 8 bit values. Right now I use
> kCFStringEncodingMacRoman for historical reasons, but perhaps not
> valid reasons, so what should it be?

I just checked: The Filelist has no problems diplaying umlauts on
MacOS X... I renamed some changeset with the MacOS Finder to ü.gz
(u-umlaut), and its displayed just fine. Reading the file is no
problem (the pane shows the contents (compressed binary gibberish )
of the file).
But there is a problem with decompressing the file:

StandardFileStream open:forWrite:   returns nil
I think because  <primitive: 'primitiveFileOpen' module: 'FilePlugin'> fails?

renaming: same problem (<primitive: 'primitiveFileRename' module:
'FilePlugin'>)

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeakland.org