File system model (was: UnixFileDirectoryPlugin)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Jan 18 18:30:49 UTC 2002

Lex Spoon wrote:

> ...  At any rate,
> having half the Squeak community using CrLfFileStream, and the other
> half not using it, causes some friction: you can decide for yourself to
> use CrLfFileStream, but if your friends are using it, you can't easily
> decide *not* to use it.

One minor point I'd make here is that I wouldn't mind seeing the class CrLfFileStream renamed to something which reveals its intention better, such as HostLineEndFileStream, or NativeLineEndFileStream, or something like that.  Given its name, I used to assume that CrLfFileStream was meant to be used if you wanted CrLf (DOS-style) line endings.  But it really means use the line end convention of the host system.

> > I'd like to suggest that file names ought to be a class separate from
> > file streams, for example.
>
> Yes....  that makes sense!

Yes, I would put this near the top of the to-do list.  Then a bunch of messages which are clumsy in FileDirectory, such as #fileExists:, #deleteFileNamed:, etc., could be simpler messages on a file/filename object such as #exists and #delete.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com