Building latest Unix VM - how?

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 14:45:24 UTC 2002

Cees de Groot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Because I want to look into Squeak's consuming inordinate CPU resources now
> and then (constantly calling gettimeofday()) and because I want to extent the
> socket primitives to accept an IP address to listen on (so you can run it
> besides Apache on port 80, both on their own IP address; sort of important for
> hosting Squeak), I am trying to build a recent VM under Linux.
>
> I've tried VMMaker and Tim's platforms zip file, but that had all sort of
> problems with paths and a broken configure; the platforms/ from SourceForge
> are much better, but the makefile is not updated for the plugins (a line
> '@auto_make@' lingers in the generated Makefile). Could someone help me in
> building My Own Hacker VM?

Sounds interesting!

Can't help with the specifics, but why not try Lex's sources?

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2173

There looks to be enough there to be getting along with, with or without
VMMaker.

Cheers

John

--
Bejing and Korean governments vote Linux:

http://www.hancom.com/en/news/press02_0111.html