Pragmatic Squeaking (was Re: SqueakFoundation; get off your butts you lot!)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sun Jan 20 02:43:30 UTC 2002

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Avi Bryant wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>
> > Here's a 45 minute or more shot at a simplistic conversion:
> > http://www.unc.edu/~bparsia/squeak/squeakfromrubyintro.htm
>
> Very cute - I have to say, it's quite surreal to have it kept in the first
> person,

Well, I didn't want to do *too* much work :)

> as I can hear Dave's voice in my head as I read it, except that
> the words aren't (quite) his.

Can you spot the bits I put in?

> One nit to pick - you wrote
>
>   "access the first element"
>   a at: 0  » 1
>   "See! A message send, unlike that nasty Ruby!!"
>
> What do you think it is in Ruby?  Pointer arithmetic?  a[1] sends the []
> message to a.  It's syntactic sugar, sure, but I've even seen a goodie
> for squeak that allows exactly the same sugar; semantically it's identical
> to #at:.

Ah, I wasn't sure, was punchy, and was just kidding :)

I don't recall such a goodie, but what does *that* show?

> Maybe someone really should try such a conversion (with Dave and Andy's
> blessing, I hope).

Indeed, I doubt it would be withheld, as it's under an OCL.

>  As both a Rubyite and a Squeaker, I wouldn't mind
> seeing a lot more collaboration between the two communities, as I think
> they have a lot to learn from each other.

Well, I don't know about a *lot*, but definitely *some* :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.