Learning Squeak

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Jan 20 10:10:07 UTC 2002

Hi les and other

> Actually, in the last few weeks I've been looking at Paul Fernhout's Embedded
> Squeak.  I believe that this is based on a stripped-down Squeak 2.2 mini
> image, resulting in only about 214 classes in the system.  Using this is
> strongly reminiscent of what I had in V/286- except that even this version of
> Squeak, running with 4-bit graphics depth,  feels much better.  I would have
> been very happy to have a Smalltalk like this back then.  When I look at it, I
> have a strong sense of  being able to Grok the whole thing- I can make the

This actually proves that modules is a good thing. The concept of a
monolithic image is reaching its limit. I do not need a chess game, a speech
recognizer, music in the mini image. What I need is something that support
the incremental (and fast like parcels in VW) loading on demand of what I
want. This way I could have the "full musix Squeak" and the full-Etoy but
not per default and bloated!

Stef