Learning Squeak

Sean McGrath sean at manybits.net
Sun Jan 20 17:54:31 UTC 2002

--
Sean
sean at manybits.net

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Jim Benson wrote:

[Large snip of things I agree with]

> To me, the Squeak image itself should be the source of the documentation
> answers. People should be able to ask the image to teach them how to use it.
> Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've been a newbie, that I don't
> remember what type of things the image needs to teach people in order to get
> them to 'learn' Squeak.

I imagine a Squeak that embodies Knuth's 'Literate Programming'. We could
evolve tools that support and encourage writing and reading in natural
(human) language along side Smalltalk code. To learn, I start with the
browsing tools in 'narrative display' mode and when I want to see
implementation I push the 'code display' button.

--
Sean McGrath
sean at manybits.net