File system model (was: UnixFileDirectoryPlugin)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 21 01:15:16 UTC 2002

> 	I know you have a use in
> 	mind, but copying works okay for it, and even copying isn't clear to be
> 	necessary in the future.
>
> Actually, copying DOESN'T work okay.

I meant for VMMaker, not for general use.  That's the only use I know
Squeak has for links, and I don't think it's a severe need.  Where else
does Squeak use symbolic links?

Squeak can be useful for low-level stuff, but I'm thinking most of the
time that stuff will be platform-specific.

> 	Simple is very good....  Also, not *every* platform will have links, so
> 	it would suck if code starts relying on their presence.
>
> Since links can be used like other names, there are probably people ALREADY
> relying on using links to set up environments that Squeak runs in.  Now that
> OSProcess exists, that horse has already bolted.

I use links, but I don't manage them from Squeak code.  I'm not sure
what I would do from Squeak code with links.

It would indeed make sense to put link support in platform-specific
packages.  I'm not sure OSProcess is a good example, since it's really
not supposed to be specific to any platform, but I agree with the idea.

-Lex