File system model (was: UnixFileDirectoryPlugin)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Jan 21 04:53:52 UTC 2002

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
	I meant for VMMaker, not for general use.  That's the only use I know
	Squeak has for links, and I don't think it's a severe need.  Where else
	does Squeak use symbolic links?

I had the idea that Squeak was supposed to be useful.
I don't care whether Squeak uses symbolic links or not.
I do care whether I can use symbolic links with Squeak.

It's just like sockets.  If Squeak _had_ to use sockets all the time
to run, it would be of little interest to me.  (My home machine, now a
Black Mac running MacOS 8.something early, does not have an Internet
connection.)  But it's important for other people do be able to use
internet connections in Squeak even if Squeak in itself can run without.

	Squeak can be useful for low-level stuff, but I'm thinking most
	of the time that stuff will be platform-specific.

That's why we have platform-specific implementations of generic features, no?

	I use links, but I don't manage them from Squeak code.  I'm not sure
	what I would do from Squeak code with links.

>From time to time I put together a directory for a class that contains
a bunch of (file system) links to other tools, so that they can be run
from that directory.  It would be nice to do this in Squeak rather than
csh or the MacOS Finder.