A documentation proposal (non HTML version)

Chris Becker chb99 at msn.com
Mon Jan 21 15:27:37 UTC 2002

As long as the remote comment database would *supplement* comments in the
base image, then I don't see a problem. But hitting the proposed remote
comment server should be optional; there are plenty of occasions that I'm
working on code offline. Code comments should always remain with the code in
the image. This code and its corresponding comments have been reviewed prior
to general release. This review ensures a level of quality that may not be
achievable with the server-based documentation that can be modified by
anyone anytime.

Personally, I have a greater need for documentation that gives me a more
abstract view of how classes and methods interact with each other. When I
want to develop something new in unfamiliar class territory, how do I know
where to start? Presently I have to click on each and every class in a
certain class category reading comments, bring up numerous hierarchy
browsers and flip between them, trying to visualize and juggle it all in my
mind and on the screen.

A graphical "class hierarchy view" would help immensely, as would a
graphical "method interaction view" to show which classes and methods are
being referenced. The views could be accessible from a browser menu and
presented in UML so they are understandable by a wide audience. They would
be generated on-the-fly and would aid understanding without someone having
to manually document how things work. This is documentation that would not
have to be kept up to date nor kept on a remote server.

Chris Becker