[Squeak Foundation] An Interim Structure for The SqueakFoundation!

Luciano Notarfrancesco core.lists.squeak at core-sdi.com
Mon Jan 21 19:36:09 UTC 2002

Craig Latta wrote:

>>A few more I haven't had time to summarize...
>>Clean up Streams and convert to Craig Latta's Flow
>>        Luciano Notarfrancesco
>>

> 	I'd like to take responsibility for this.

Hehe. Yes, you're probably the right person for this task :)
So I'll happily pass this to you.

But I'd like to exchange some mails with you before Flow is fully integrated with Squeak. I've been using NetStreams a lot

lately... but not with *External*Resources. I have almost finished a
TCP/IP stack in Squeak, and my sockets are polymorphic with
ExternalResources (so I can use'em with NetStreams), but they are not
*External*. As a matter of fact, I ended up calling them
InternalTCPSocket and InternalUDPSocket to avoid name conflicts.

I've also come with a set of Exceptions that I think are more appropiate
for TCP and UDP: ConnectionRefused, NetDown, HostDown, ConnectionReset,
OutOfBandData, etc.

Another thing I don't like is using NetStreams with TCP sockets in the
Listen state. Since a socket in Listen state can't bahave like a Stream,
I think we should use completly different objects for that
(ConnectionQueue, for instance, or just the TCPSocket alone).

BTW, please don't take me wrong. Everything I said was IMHO.
I love Flow! I use it every day!
Luciano.-

--- for a personal reply use: Luciano Notarfrancesco <luciano at corest.com>