[Squeak Foundation] An Interim Structure for The SqueakFoundation!

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jan 21 19:40:39 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 11:36:09AM -0800, Luciano Notarfrancesco wrote:
> Craig Latta wrote:
>
> >>A few more I haven't had time to summarize...
> >>Clean up Streams and convert to Craig Latta's Flow
> >>        Luciano Notarfrancesco
> >
> > 	I'd like to take responsibility for this.
>
> Hehe. Yes, you're probably the right person for this task :)
> So I'll happily pass this to you.
>
> But I'd like to exchange some mails with you before Flow is fully integrated with Squeak. I've been using NetStreams a lot
>
> lately... but not with *External*Resources. I have almost finished a
> TCP/IP stack in Squeak, and my sockets are polymorphic with
> ExternalResources (so I can use'em with NetStreams), but they are not
> *External*. As a matter of fact, I ended up calling them
> InternalTCPSocket and InternalUDPSocket to avoid name conflicts.

I wrote IOHandle (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/996) some time
ago as a way to separate the representation of external IO channels
from things like FileStreams and Sockets. I have not touched this code
in more than a year, so I am sure that it has gone out of date by now.
My changes were made to the base Squeak image, not to Flow, so I don't
know if this is useful. I would be happy to update it if either of you
thinks it would help.

Dave