Performing a method on only those objects which will understand it

Noel J. Bergman noel at devtech.com
Tue Jan 22 03:50:53 UTC 2002

> Reasonable minds may differ.

Absolutely.  Such is often how the best progress occurs.  :-)

> the beauty, reusability, maintainability and elegance
> of the corresponding code ...

... too often appear to be the first casualties of expedience.  Since
Smalltalk makes trivial such modifications, it takes discipline to preserve
the aforementioned desirable attributes.

It was suggested, earlier in the thread, that modules could help with some
of the issues by carefully managing feature sets in the form of new classes
and packaged modifications of existing ones; sort of supporting
capabilities-based programming Hopefully that won't lead to casual attitudes
regarding modifying public classes.

On the other hand, it sounds as if a lot of necessary refactoring will go
into the process of producing the modules, and that will be a goodness.

> Suggest various textbooks that address these smells in greater detail.
> I'm particularly fond of "Refactoring."

Which one?  Fowler, Beck, Brant, et al; or Brown, Malveau, Brown, et al?

[Since free downloads are nice, I'll mention Opdyke's thesis:
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/Dienst/UI/2.0/Describe/ncstrl.uiuc_cs/UIUCDCS-R-92-17
59]

	--- Noel