Full-text search package?

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Jan 22 18:49:43 UTC 2002

On 22 Jan 2002, Cees de Groot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't like Mailman not having a search facility for its archives; I
> don't like the speed with which Swiki goes through its webpages; ergo,
> I want a text searching system in Squeak.

Let's not forget Celeste's slow text search, and searching for text in
methods, etc. etc etc. I want one too!

> Now, before I go and hack something simplistic (I'm thinking about a
> simple word index with frequencies, and being too lazy for a real
> persistence engine and recognizing that reiserfs really is a database,
> it'll be spread out over an awful lot of files ;-)), is there a decent
> text indexing/searching package available for Smalltalk or Squeak?

Not that I know off. However, I've poked at Lucene for a *long* time

	http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/index.html

Alas, it's Java, and I've never had the time to sit down and try a
port. It's very nice, nippy, friendly, and cool. It's part of the Apache
Jakarta now. It's by the guy who did the V-Twin engine for Apple.

There are a few other one's floating about, but this seems to me the most
likely to be reasonably ported.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.