Squeak hogs sound driver on NT (repost)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 22 20:08:10 UTC 2002

john-reed.x.maffeo at mail.sprint.com wrote:
> I have experienced a similar problem, but I
> do not have to reboot to clear it, I only
> have to quit and restart Squeak.
>
> When I start Squeak, the first invocation of
> playSound(??? doing this from memory) works.
> After that all I get is a message saying
> something about the device drive not being ready.

First, it seems that, indeed, Squeak hogs the sound device on certain
versions of NT.  I've seen similar error messages using various Win9x
machines using programs other than Squeak, so this isn't necessarily a
Squeak-specific issue.

Second, your particular problem can be worked around by disabling the
preference soundStopWhenDone.  The root cause of this problem, on the
other hand, remains a mystery.....

-Lex