[VM][OS X] Is the FFI plugin available?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Tue Jan 22 22:49:45 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 12:26:20PM -0800, Martin McClure wrote:

> I did look at the Unix FFI, but found that it relied on yet another
> external library and didn't dig deeper there.

The library you need is libFFI. It was done by cygnus (now redhat).
The version everyone uses (1.2) does *not* run on MacOS X. But libffi
seems to be part of GCC (used in the Java runtime, IMHO). And that
version has been portet to Darwin... but i havn't gotten it to run
yet.

> This also brings up a general philosophical question about OS X
> support: Do we as a general rule want to support Project Builder, or
> would it make more sense to support gnumake instead? OS X comes with
> gnumake, and given the number of platforms that gnumake is available
> for it seems like we might be better able to maintain current
> makefiles (or to do automatic generation of makefiles) for multiple
> platforms if we used gnumake for all the platforms for which it is
> available.

Good Question. I really don't like to manually fiddle with adding/removing
files every time I change what Plugins I want to have compiled inline.
As John M. suggested, we could generate the .xml file from vmaker.
But I'd rather like to simply type "make"...
Is there somewhere documentation about how one builds executables on MacosX
without PB? What kind of libraries do I need? What's the structure of a
.app - Directory tree? etc...
Than we can build everything with make.

Or we could have a look at Jam: http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html
That's what PB uses internally. There are a lot of useful Defines and
routines for JAM in /Developer/Makefiles/pbx_jamfiles

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeakland.org