[VM][OS X] Is the FFI plugin available?

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Wed Jan 23 00:19:59 UTC 2002

At 11:49 PM +0100 1/22/02, Marcus Denker wrote:
>  >
>>  This also brings up a general philosophical question about OS X
>>  support: Do we as a general rule want to support Project Builder, or
>>  would it make more sense to support gnumake instead? OS X comes with
>>  gnumake, and given the number of platforms that gnumake is available
>>  for it seems like we might be better able to maintain current
>>  makefiles (or to do automatic generation of makefiles) for multiple
>>  platforms if we used gnumake for all the platforms for which it is
>>  available.
>>
>Good Question. I really don't like to manually fiddle with adding/removing
>files every time I change what Plugins I want to have compiled inline.
>As John M. suggested, we could generate the .xml file from vmaker.

I was thinking we might be able to have VMMaker generate a
platform-independent (or nearly platform-independent) makefile to
build the selected subset of plugins. The platform-independent
makefile would then reference platform-specific makefiles to complete
the job.

>But I'd rather like to simply type "make"...
>Is there somewhere documentation about how one builds executables on MacosX
>without PB? What kind of libraries do I need? What's the structure of a
>.app - Directory tree? etc...
>Than we can build everything with make.

I know gnumake runs on all the Unices I know of (including OS X) and
on Windows (through Cygwin) and probably on other platforms. Is there
a platform that runs Squeak and for which gnumake isn't available? I
don't know offhand about classic MacOS, and there might be some
development environments for embedded devices or handhelds that don't
use make.

>Or we could have a look at Jam: http://www.perforce.com/jam/jam.html
>That's what PB uses internally. There are a lot of useful Defines and
>routines for JAM in /Developer/Makefiles/pbx_jamfiles

...but is Jam available for other platforms? Seems like one of the
biggest advantages to using make is to use the same build tool on
most or all platforms, so the effort in writing and maintaining the
makefiles can be minimized.

-Martin