SqueakNOS - where's the site?

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Wed Jan 23 00:18:10 UTC 2002

Yep, Swiki.net went down again today.  There is a bug somewhere that
causes Squeak to start hogging the entire CPU under Windows NT even
though I've set Squeak's priority lower than normal (and I mean it
really hogs the CPU, about the only thing I can do is kill the power).
The weird thing is that I can't reproduce this with an infinite loop in
Smalltalk code (other programs still respond in that case).  I'm
wondering if this might be a bug in the win32 VM, and perhaps with the
VM socket code.  Anyway, I worked for a little while to get a monitor
program to detect that situation and forcible kill Squeak...we'll see.
I'm thinking more and more about moving it over to Linux.

- Stephen