[VM] make vs PB et al [was: [VM][OS X] Is the FFI plugin available?]

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Wed Jan 23 00:35:11 UTC 2002

At 3:13 PM -0800 1/22/02, John M McIntosh wrote:

>Project Builder is a gui front end to the underlying GNU tools. It's
>*painless* to use for macintosh people, driving them into gnumake if
>they've never done unix programming before is a bit much. Right now
>I can expect a hypercard programmer to be able to compile the VM and
>actually understand what's and or how to drop a plugin if he doesn't
>want it. I'm not sure I could say the same if he had to mess with a
>make file.

Project Builder is indeed easier (though I feel like I don't
understand what it's doing as well as I do with make) so I do
recognize that point in favor of PB.

Make, however, is more portably scriptable, which could let us
automate VM and plugin building well beyond where they are now, and
thus lower the barrier to entry (which is still pretty high for those
like me whose C development experience is limited.)

-Martin