Full-text search, performance results.

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed Jan 23 03:15:59 UTC 2002

Scott A Crosby <crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu> wrote:
	Then you trade memory for HD latency. In essence, you're doing the
	swapping to the drive manually. There isn't really any way to win.  I'm
	going for simplicity. 512mb isn't that much RAM.

It's twice as much RAM as I have on this 64-bit machine, and you'd be
amazed/dismayed how much memory X11 and other things take up already.
In fact, I've only got about that much swapspace left.

	If you can index a large
	swiki, all the source code and the squeak mailing list going back 3 years
	in 300mb of RAM, is it worth the slowdown and complexity of diskbasing it?

Yes, if you haven't _got_ that much RAM available.

By the way, text compresses very nicely, and the "Managing Gigabytes"
book explains how you can index and search compressed text and images.

	Now, for quick performance numbers:

Nice ones.  How fast was the machine?

	Give me a few days to clean it up, and I'll post them away, unless you
	want the messy patches to play with?

Despite my quibbles, I look forward to seeing this.