[RAVE]Re: [FIX] Re: Full-text search, performance results.

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Wed Jan 23 06:11:31 UTC 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> Full text searchs of method *text* as fast as find senders! WOO HOO!

Not anymore.. Once the right adapter is written to feed the who-calls into
an index, and I special case a simple optimization, find senders will be
about .01 ms, plus however long morphic takes to draw the window. :)

Oh, as for memory overhead, it was 17mb to store both 10mb of method text
AND 7mb of index. I hadn't realized I was also keeping around method text.
(Thanks Bijan for pointing it out) So, indexing overhead is not 170% of
the text size, but only 70% of the actual text size. A side effect of
fixing this will make that one 2 second search take about .2 seconds.

Furthermore, if you're willing to give up all dynamic updates and take a
slowdown, you can cut the memory overhead another 10-30%.

Scott