Full-text search, performance results.

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Wed Jan 23 09:52:17 UTC 2002

Richard A. O'Keefe <ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz> said:
>It's twice as much RAM as I have on this 64-bit machine, and you'd be
>amazed/dismayed how much memory X11 and other things take up already.
>In fact, I've only got about that much swapspace left.

The point that Scott was making, I think, is that for, say, a 256Mb
index you'd start a ~300Mb image and add around the same amoung of swap
space. Now, apart from the fact that you need a 300Mb image file sitting
on disk and need to provide 300Mb swap space (100% waste), you now have
nicely delegated all disk I/O to the Linux kernel, which is bound to be
much better/faster at it than you are on the Smalltalk level.

And Scott doesn't need to write a persistence engine, probably another
important point :-)

I think he's made a correct design decision here.

(Squeak really needs a built-in OODB)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>