Multiple Users and Security

Derrick Coetzee dc at moonflare.com
Thu Jan 24 07:00:24 UTC 2002

I'm a newbie, so forgive any etiquette breaking, please. :-)

      I'm thinking of using Squeak in an environment where many users,
      some untrusted, will be able to write Squeak "scripts" (methods
      essentially) to extend an environment contained within a single
      image on a server. The problem that comes to mind is that these
      users will have access to all sorts of nasty things, like the
      ability to say "SmallInteger := nil" or say, use file objects to
      obliterate the image.

      Thus, I'd like to make some classes use-only, and some classes
      inaccessible, from their scripts. Is there any easy way of going
      about this or existing functionality that may be helpful? Or do I
      just have to dig down into the details of the compiler?

      Thanks a lot.

-Derrick Coetzee