Encourage faculty to come to workshop!

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 24 21:29:48 UTC 2002

If you know a US Computer Science faculty member that you'd like to
introduce to Squeak, please do forward the below message to them.
We're all set on presenters now, and I think we're going to have a
really exciting workshop.  We have some 15 people who've applied to
attend so-far, but we have space for 25 (maybe a little more, if we
can squeeze the budget appropriately).  So please do encourage your
friends and acquaintances to come!

Thanks!
  Mark

-- PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY! --

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION:
CS FACULTY AND PRESENTERS

NSF-SPONSORED
WORKSHOP ON THE INTEGRATION OF MULTIMEDIA
CONSTRUCTION IN COMPUTER SCIENCE EDUCATION
USING SQUEAK

-AND-

ATLANTA SQUEAKEND

May 3-5, 2002
College of Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology

http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/mmworkshop

Building projects involving graphics, sound, music, animation, video,
and other forms of media can motivate computer science students,
particularly those who may not be excited about more traditional
programming projects. (Does anyone really believe that "Hello,
World!" is a motivating assignment?)  Valued computer science
learning objectives can be met with multimedia assignments as well as
with traditional assignments. Modern hardware makes these kinds of
projects possible on traditional computers, and modern software like
Squeak makes multimedia approachable, understandable, and usable.

Squeak is a new cross-platform implementation of Smalltalk that
emphasizes multimedia and educational applications.  Several
Squeak-using CS classes are having students tackle interesting and
motivating assignments like building movie editors, MP3 players,
personalized Web newspapers, and 3-D adventure games.  The basic
techniques are usable in other programming platforms, but Squeak
provides an infrastructure that fades much of the non-relevant
complexity.

The NSF Division of Undergraduate Education is sponsoring a workshop
to help CS faculty to learn about integrating multimedia construction
in CS courses.  Speakers will include Dr. Alan Kay ("father of the
personal computer" and leader of the Squeak Central team with Dan
Ingalls) and CS faculty such as Dr. Rick Zaccone and Dr. Mark Guzdial
who are using Squeak to enable multimedia projects in their current
courses.  Topics will include using multimedia projects for
non-majors, computer music for undergraduates, teaching software
engineering with Squeak projects, and digital video special effect
projects.

Concurrently, Stephen Pair is organizing a SqueakEnd at the same
place on the same weekend.  The goal is to create synergy between the
two events. Squeakers who come for the SqueakEnd can also attend
workshop sessions that they're interested in, and workshop attendees
can hang out with the Squeakers to hear about the latest Squeak
technologies.

FACILITIES: We'll be using two classrooms, each equipped with two
projectors, NT computers in the classrooms, and Ethernet connections.
Directly adjacent to the classrooms is a cluster of over 40
workstations: Pentium workstations bootable into NT or Linux, and
SPARC workstations running Solaris.  Outside the glass walls of the
cluster is an open area with DHCP Ethernet connections at each table.
Attendees will be given a College username/password for workstation
and DHCP access for the weekend.

CALL FOR CS FACULTY ATTENDEES: We have funding for some 25 CS faculty
to attend the workshop. Workshop attendees will have their lodging
and meals covered, but are responsible for their own travel.
Attendees will also recieve a CD with workshop materials and a copy
of the textbook "Squeak: Object-oriented design with multimedia
applications" by Guzdial (2001) courtesy of Prentice-Hall. CS faculty
interested in attending the workshop should email
guzdial at cc.gatech.edu with a subject line of "MM-CSED: Attend"
Please tell us:
- Your name and institution (Sorry -- only US institution faculty are eligible)
- The course(s) you teach where you might integrate multimedia and Squeak
- Your email address, phone number, and fax number
- If you have any previous Squeak experience

There are limited funds available to pay travel expenses of some
faculty attendees.  If you are interested in receiving these funds,
please make your argument in your application and give us an estimate
of your travel expenses.  Our criteria in selecting faculty for
travel funding are:
- Increasing diversity in faculty attendees and in students
potentially being reached;
- Number of students potentially being reached (e.g., we will favor
teaching institutions over research institutions);
- Enthusiasm of the faculty applicants.

Applications will be accepted until March 1.  We will inform
applicants of decisions by March 15.

CALL FOR PRESENTERS:  There are still some presentation slots open.
If you are using Squeak in your class to integrate multimedia
content, or if you would like to present some multimedia programming
techniques that might be used in a CS class, we would welcome your
participation!  We have funding for travel, as well as lodging and
meals for presenters.  Please email guzdial at cc.gatech.edu with a
subject line of "MM-CSED: Present"  Please tell us:
- Your name, email address, phone number, and fax number
- What you would like to present
- An estimate of your travel expenses

Please let us know as soon as possible if you are interested in
presenting, by February 1 at the latest, and we will get back to you
by Feb. 15. If you have materials that that you would like us to
include on a workshop/SqueakEnd CD, we will need them by April 1.

Hope to see you in May in Atlanta!

--
Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu