Modules?! (was Re: Integrating the RegisteringFileList)

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Fri Jan 25 08:26:24 UTC 2002

Hi Henrik and everybody!

--- Henrik Gedenryd <h.gedenryd at open.ac.uk> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Anyway, I made this code part of the modules package because I thought that
> would be the fastest way to get it into the image. Heh. That was a while
> ago. Anyway, it is still coming and it should happen any day now I'm told.
> ;-)
>
> Then I'll get the time to make the DeltaModule loading tests pass and we can
> really start rocking I hope.

Speaking of the modules - what is the current status? I am longing for it and I hope
it isn't "rotting away" on someones harddrive somewhere... :-)

(I know - I could help out - but I really don't think I can do much to help...)

I haven't checked on the Swiki but currently I believe 3.2 is in gamma and 3.3 is in alpha.
Are we aiming to push modules out the door into 3.3alpha? I would really love to see that.

Yes, it will hurt for a while for sure, but after that... One important thing we can't
afford to flop on (for a change) is documentation. When modules hits the stream we need to have
solid tutorials/guides in place so that the confusion is kept at a minimum.

One last remark - if it is the work to modularize the base image that is holding this up I would
vote for taking a "cell splitting" approach. Start off with one or a few "huge" base modules
that we can chop up in smaller pieces in due time.

regards, Göran

PS. Working from home which means I can't use Celeste, which means that you don't get
CSOTDs for a change! Phew. Nice to be able to post away without a regret... ;-) DS

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
"Department of Redundancy department." -- ThinkGeek