Pointless Nostalgia

John Hinsley jhinsley at telinco.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 16:56:08 UTC 2002

Kevin Fisher wrote:

> Hi Folks:
>
> Here's a bit of pointless nostalgia...I found an ancient VHS tape that
> had a computer show on it from early '82.  This particular show had a segment
> about Smalltalk-80, including an interview with Adele Goldberg.
>
> I put some rather muddy screenshots of the system they were demoing up
> on http://kgf.swiki.net/10
>
> I'm not sure what machine this is...they never said if it was an Alto or
> something else.  I really like that paint program they were using, though!
>
> (My apologies about the muddy look of the screen grabs...this tape is
> almost 2 decades old, recorded on a long dead "original" VHS machine..I'm
> pretty sure if I rewound it all the way the tape would come loose from the
> reel.)

I wonder how "pointless" this really is? My guess is that you have the
sole remaining viable recording (whoever made the show has almost
certainly overwritten the tape and binned it long since).

It's terrifying to think how much more transient history on digital
media is than history recorded on papyrus!

Maybe you could encode it to mpeg, stick it on something else and
preserve it for another 10 - 20 years?

Cheers

John

--
They're afraid, very afraid......
According to CRN magazine, Microsoft staff discovering Linux in use