Squeak practical use?

Yoel Jacobsen yoel at emet.co.il
Mon Jan 28 13:11:23 UTC 2002

Andrew,

    Thank you for your reply.

    However, this only proves my point - your application fits perfectly
into 'playing with ideas'. Have you ever tried to open 2GB database in
squeak and make automatic analysis of the data? Another application I
needed - construction of LDIF files for customer's existing data
sources. It worked, but it was very slow and the image was not fun to
touch in the (long) time it ran.

    I don't say I don't like Squeak. I liked it a lot. I just feel it
could be more suited to my type of 'real world problems'. On the other
way you can claim that my feeling is based on the fact that I know
Python better and longer. This might be true. What I wanted is to know
on what extent the readers of this group do I/O and memory intensive
tasks with Squeak.

    I don't think this discussion is a troll, though.

        Yoel