AW: Squeak practical use?

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Mon Jan 28 16:18:46 UTC 2002

Yoel,

First of all, when you run into problems you really _should_ ask for
advise here. Judging from my (20,000 mails long) history of messages on
this list you've tried to do things on your own. That's okay as long as
it works but in your particular case it seems it didn't. There are
plenty of smart people on this list and so posting your question is
likely to get some (reasonably ;-) intelligent response.

As an example,
> Have you ever tried to open 2GB database in
> squeak and make automatic analysis of the data?

No, _I_ haven't. But that's not to mean nobody has. Even if nobody has
done that some people might be able to give you advise about how to deal
with this efficently. Hey, after all that's why we are a community,
isn't it?! ;-)

And so
>    However, this only proves my point - your application fits
perfectly
> into 'playing with ideas'.

No, it does not prove your point (sorry ;-) All it proves is that Andrew
didn't have any more need to deal with 2GB databases than I had.

[Bijan wrote:]
> Perhaps you could get more traction if you posted a
> problem you could handle with ease in Python
>(with the Python solution) and see what we can come up with.

Heh, heh. I like this proposal. We could add a new tag like [Challenge]
in order to denote particular tasks that appear to be easy in some other
environment and see how we'd solve this problem in Squeak ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas