Squeak for I/O and Memory Intensive tasks (was Re: Squeak practical use?)

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Jan 28 19:01:00 UTC 2002

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Yoel Jacobsen wrote:

> Well, my practical usage always involves very large data sources that I
>  need to process flexibly and quickly.
> Yes, the subject should be rephrased: 'Squeak for I/O and memory
> intensive tasks?'
[snip]

Done :)

It still remains to know more about specific cases. I'd certain hesitate
to use Squeak, with my current skillset, for a huge read a line at a
time style task (though, many people would hesitate at Python for that,
at least before rather recent uses).

But I hardly *ever* do such a thing *anyway*, so I'm not *really* the one
to ask :)

Some things to watch out for:
	fullgcs (Scott's stuff can help here)
	building very large Collections
	I guess too many incr gcs :)
	using heavyweight objects when lightweight ones will do
		(I.e., some times you really wan
	writes to Transcript for keeping track of progress

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.