Squeak VM, real-time I/O, and threading

Craig Latta Craig.Latta at NetJam.ORG
Mon Jan 28 22:24:54 UTC 2002

Hi--

	Luciano writes:

> Do you have any plans regarding the integration of Flow into the
> Squeak image?

	Yes; I've volunteered to coordinate a Squeak Foundation committee for
this. Hopefully, the next release of Flow will be in the main image (or
easily findable/loadable as a "standard module" or whatever that sort of
thing gets called).

> I guess that would involve lots of changes in the image (to use the
> new Streams and remove the old clases)...

	I've done that up through July 2001. It looks like the next pass will
be easier...

> ...and some changes in Flow (to use Squeak's exceptions).

	I've done that...

> BTW, this work has already been done for the SWT image... mainly by John
> Sarkela, I think.

	Right; I hope to integrate changes from everywhere.

> If you need help, I'm willing to put some of my spare time on this.

	Thanks!

	Ned writes:

> does this include support for serial ports? Especially blocking
> reads...

	Yes, but I've only tested on win32 so far (I've tested sockets on win32
and POSIX). Hopefully (again :) all transports of the next release will
get lots of testing on all platforms...

	thanks again,

-C

--