Squeak practical use?We run the equity markets through it!

Cees de Groot cg at home.cdegroot.com
Tue Jan 29 08:56:42 UTC 2002

Mark Mullin <mark at vibrant3d.com> said:
>I'd certainly agree that Squeak alone for major database applications is a
>non flyer, and I haven't a clue for an easy OOB cross platform solution.

OmniBase has been ported to a number of dialects, and as it carries
its own serialization library around you can transport the database
between various dialects (or even open it concurrently from various
dialects). I'm quite sure that one could start from the VW port and
come up with a Squeak port in no-time (and in fact, that has been on my
todo list for quite some time....). The for-free version doesn't include
garbage collection, so your database will only grow, but most databases
grow slower than disk capacity so it is not as bad as it sounds :-). The
commercial use version is only 395 dollars per developer seat without a
run-time fee, so that's not exactly a killer either (www.gorisek.com).

>No one language does all things well, and it is
>true Smalltalk does iteration particularly badly.  But so does Java when you
>get right down to it.

Interesting - calling Smalltalk iteration bad and at least suggesting that
Java iteration does it better. I take it you purely talk about performance
here, not about the programming model. Would you care to elaborate?

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>