Squeak practical use?We run the equity markets through it!

O'NEEL Bruce beoneel at bluewin.ch
Tue Jan 29 14:58:25 UTC 2002

Bijan Parsia writes:
<snip>

 > For "non functional" type looping, I'm growing more and more to admire
 > Common Lisp's extended loop. A language for looping!

Um, it looks like a great idea, but it is awful in an environment
where you have to keep a system written by many different people
running.  The problem is that everyone, and I mean *everyone* uses
different bits of loop differently so that every single one you come
across you have to pull out the CLTL2 (and/or the manual for the
particular lisp since everyone and his brother wanted to extend loop)
and puzzle out what in the ^%^&@# they were doing.  I think the basic
problem is that there are no well known patterns for using loop that
have been adopted like other lisp idioms.

Here's to not changing languages in mid stream :-)

cheers

bruce

--
Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C
or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden

Bruce O'Neel                       phone:  +41 22 950 91 46 (fow now)
INTEGRAL Science Data Centre               +41 22 950 91 00 (switchb.)
Chemin d'Ecogia 16                 fax:    +41 22 950 91 33
CH-1290 VERSOIX                    e-mail: Bruce.Oneel at obs.unige.ch
Switzerland                        WWW:    http://isdc.unige.ch/