[ANN] SqueakDot - an embryonic community web experiment

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Jan 29 16:18:56 UTC 2002

I have been hacking webstuff the last weeks and when doing that I
have produced a homegrown framework around Comanche.

I took Comanche, added the cookie session support by Diego Gomez Deck
(posted on list) and finished it off by growing a small but neat
HttpView framework around it. Since I dislike ASP/JSP solutions
(embedding code in HTML? Come on...) and I want everything to be
within Squeak, this framework focuses on:

- Simplicity. Like all things should be. Yes, even developing webstuff
  can be easy. Servlets/TomCat/Struts/JSP/Beans blabla, forget it. Too
complicated.
- Pure Squeak. I don't even have HTML files. Everything is totally in
  Squeak code right now.
- Automatic mapping of urls to messages to the HttpView instances.
  Works very good. When a method is added it is immediately addressable.

(I postponed functionality for making the HTML look good.
I have some ideas on that too though)

The result is interesting. I feel very comfortable hacking in this
little
framework, easy to debug, things kept together in neat places.

I realized that a cool thing to try out would be to make a site for us -
the Squeak community - that we could evolve together.
I am talking about the Swiki/Squeak mentality with "direct modification"
extended to programming a Squeakdriven website. Whua...

How that could be done is still sketchy, I wrote down a draft on the
site -
read it and come back to me with improvements.

I have just set up the first incarnation of this site - "SqueakDot". It
lives on
my development machine so it isn't official yet. But you can steal a
look.
It looks downright ugly - it will only interest you if you take a look
on the
source (which is available per page, yes of course it is straight from
the image... :-).

Perhaps we could call it something else but since I would like it to
evolve to
a little "community driven" site like Slashdot, "SqueakDot" sounded
alright as
a workname! :-)

Currently you can't do much at all, but I am in the process
of adding "Polls" both for account owners and public polls etc. There
have
been a few polls conducted on the mailinglist and that gets messy real
quick.
I am sure that we can come up with other interesting little "features"
of this
site we could add to help SqF for example.

And oh, yes, the url! :-) It's:

http://marvin.bluefish.se:8080/squeakdot

Be gentle guys...

regards, Göran

PS. The code is still a bit tangled with our other "secret" project -
but I am
detangling it in order to release it to the list. DS