DVD's, Project Gutenberg, Full Text Search

Scott A Crosby crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 29 18:26:45 UTC 2002

On 29 Jan 2002, Cees de Groot wrote:

> I just made a tally of the current PG size. It's about 2Gb zipped. That fits
> on a 3CD set or a single DVD, with room for title/author/abstract full text
> indexing. Now, wouldn't be a worthwhile project to write a PG browser/indexer,
> so in a year or so we could have ISO/UDF images on-line that anyone could
> download, burn, and as a result have access to a major part of the world's
> literature on their system? Whatever that system is?

Actually, thats such an infinitesmial fraction of the worlds literature,
it could almost be lost without comment. (CTEA *cough* *cough* Remember,
it doesn't include more than .01% of anything written since 1922.. Which
means its missing 99% of the worlds literature.)

But, neat idea. Full text indexing of the stories would not be possible,
but doing the title/author/abstract could be done.

Scott