A Squeak version of "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist"

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jan 29 23:24:22 UTC 2002

Jerzy Karczmarczuk <karczma at info.unicaen.fr> wrote:
	1. Perhaps it would be nice to inform WHERE are those pdfs. Of course, this is
	   just the Authors' modesty to hide this information, anyway, you can search
	   yourself
	   http://www.eyrolles.com/php.informatique/Ouvrages/9782212110234.php3

Someone ought to tell Eyrolles how to write good HTML.
That page isn't even lexically correct (incorrect quotation marks),
let alone syntactically or semantically correct HTML.
Thank goodness ICab can cope.
And double thank goodness for ICab's "Larger" button;
people who write pages that display in 5 point type on popular machines
deserve to lose the sales they will lose.

My high-school French skills were, when put to the test, good enough to
ask for directions in Paris, but not good enough to understand the answers.
However, I found the text of the two sample chapters I looked at quite easy
to follow.  Given the choice of an English translation of this or one of the
Guzdial books, I think I'd choose the latter, but other people might well
have a different view.

Myself, I don't think it's bad that some of the examples come from the
Swiki.  (Let's face it, how many books still copy "Hello World!"?)  It
seems like good engineering to use known tested helpful examples.

Introductory books about Squeak are nice.  What I am pantingly eager for
is the _next_ book in a series, the one that provides a clear roadmap into
large parts of the system, explains how to use various kinds of serialisation/
persistent storage, presents the collection classes really really clearly,
and does a rather better job of explaining Morphic than anything I've seen
yet.  (This is the book that comes just before "read the sources".)