Impacts of the squeak garbage collector

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 29 23:12:36 UTC 2002

Scott A Crosby <crosby at qwes.math.cmu.edu> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Quick summary:
>   The default paramaters for the GC are a poor choice for RAM-rich modern
> computers. A 3x performance gain on GC is obtainable, if you're willing to
> dedicate RAM to squeak. (My desktop has 768, so I think nothing of running
> with 100-500mb)
Well lucky you; my machines don't have that size memory and in fact my
main machine doesn't even use virtual memory. PDAs, embedded devices,
network computers and so are likewise memory limited. Let's remember
that before leaping to any changes.

> I typically run with:
>   Smalltalk vmParameterAt: 5 put: 400000.
>   Smalltalk vmParameterAt: 6 put: 12000.
Which is of course why those parameters are settable. Maybe some startup
code to work out sensible machine defaults wouldbe a good idea. VW has
allowed gc tuning for years - actually over a decade - with exquisitely
precise policy capabilities.

Almost nobody ever uses them :-(

Almost everybody complains that the defaults don't work.

I'm not at all certain that the current Squeak memory system is really
suited to huge memories. I can't help thinking that at least one more
generation would be a good idea, along with perhaps a space for large
non-pointer objects (like bitmaps). Which is why, for years, I've wanted
to get a chance to develop a modular memory & execution engine that can
be configured to suit the intended use. Funding offers to the usual
email address.

tim
Useful random insult:- Some Assembly Required.