Impacts of the squeak garbage collector

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 30 00:03:58 UTC 2002

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> PS back to my GC paper, where I say I'm waiting for the days when you
> can allocate a few trillion bytes, run the VM, quit and never need to
> do a GC. That's a more effective solution.
That was once a serious suggestion in a paper I read; the suggestion was
that virtual memory solved the problem since all you had to do was page
out garbage. Slight problem with the (then extant) data rates & disk
sizes - Smalltalk would have filled the disk in a few minutes :-)

It might take a little longer these days, but still not long enough to
be interesting, I think.

tim
Useful random insult:- Sailboat fuel for brains.